Tuesday 15 May 2012

Remember When...

I was laying in bed early this morning thinking to myself about how different I handle things now than I did when I was in high school. How much more difficult and calculated each and every decision is and has to be. It's a sad fact that now, decisions have to be made from the mind and not from the heart. Even in matters of the heart. 

In high school, when you met someone you liked, it was so organic and simple. It was either you liked him back or not. They probably went to your school or at least lived close enough that you could see them when you wanted. Your friends knew each other's friends and you let everyone know you were with that person, using the word 'boyfriend' freely. 

I remember knowing I liked someone based on how often or long we stayed on the phone with each other. Sounds stupid now but that's really how I knew. I would wake up and he'd be the first person I spoke to. Those were the days when your parents would be pissed off because you were hogging the phone for practically 10 hours a day talking to your 'boo'. Funny thing is, y'all really weren't saying shit to each other. I used to sit on my couch with the cordless phone tucked between my ear and shoulder, eating cereal, watching Jamie Foxx not saying a word to each other but laughing at the same moments. Night time would roll around and you'd be in bed whispering nasty shit to each other like you knew what the fuck you were talking about. 

You used to be proud to say you were with someone. Doing cute corny shit like writing their name in your notebook, having those stupid photo booth (no, not MacBook photo booth, the real one in the mall) pictures in your locker, or those stupid dog tags with your picture etched on them. You used to be able to CLAIM who you were with. 

Nowadays? Shit is so sad. Getting involved with someone involves so much more thought and consideration. Now it's not just about liking someone, it's about what you can offer each other in that relationship. I've said it before, relationships now are business agreements. 

Now, your schedule just doesn't allow for y'all to talk for 10 hours a day (and your phone ain't free for that shit either). Y'all text back and forth saying stupid shit to each other, hella emojis n shit. Then ironically enough, when y'all finish your responsibilities for the day, you barely speak 'cause you're busy enjoying what's left of your free time. 

Claiming someone these days is a risk you take on. Since everyone is sharing their significant other (it seems) you can potentially look like a fool sticking your flag in it. Strutting around like a peacock with the notion that "that's MY man" dominating your thoughts can be the right concept with the wrong results if/when you discover he's been slangin' dick all over the place. That's probably what confuses me most about people (females) getting (their boyfriend's) names tattooed.  Something so permanent representing something so fleeting and temporary (in many cases). 

I guess I'm just in awe of how different things are. Where the significance of a relationship could mean so much more now than it did before, yet the commitment is far less present. It's not wrong, it's just the simple fact. In the mean time, I'm gonna reminisce on the good old days when I text my "him" until I'm done work. 

The Articulate Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment