Wednesday 4 July 2012

Frank Ocean Comes Out

It's 4:30 am...

All day rumors were swirling about Nostalgia Ultra singer Frank Ocean being gay. I searched high and low for some sort of confirmation, finding only that folks were speculating based on song lyrics from his new album. So, I waited.

Three hours ago Frankie himself posts something on his tumblr (frankocean.com) saying: "what I'm about to post was intended to fill the thank you credit section of my album...but with all the rumors going around I thought it would be good to clarify."

I laid in bed and read his story about the summer he first fell in love. The summer he realized he was... Well, not straight. He told of how he struggled with it, "for the last year or 3 I've screamed at my creator, screamed at the clouds in the sky, for an explanation. Mercy maybe," and how he finally told his friend how he felt. How his friend didn't reciprocate for another 3 years. 

The makeup I didn't take of is running down my face to my ears in my tears. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to be working on music, the fame, the fans... The weight of this secret combined with the weight of his life as a star... It's unfathomable. 

His letter was so heart felt. Real. Beautifully written, as only he could do. I felt every word and saved the post. 

Here is a wildly successful young man, he's releasing his second album (Channel Orange set to drop July 17th), has the likes of Jay Z and Kanye West on his resume, legions of fans who love him and hang off his every beautifully sung word. Frank Ocean is the bravest young nigga in the industry for this. 

SMH. I'm still crying. Not because I'm sad or disappointed in him but because I can only imagine the fear that comes behind an admission like this. So many people are still so closed minded about the topic of homosexuality or bisexuality that many feel keeping the secret is wiser.  The hip hop industry is already so judgmental and harsh. Frank Ocean's bravery is inspiring. 

Pride Week Toronto ended this past Sunday. I saw a lot of faces I didn't see last year, many familiar ones I was proud had come out, finally. I'm not asking anyone to change their views, but open your eyes! We all bleed the same and breathe the same air. We all want the same things; to live happily and love freely. Homosexuality in any degree is not a choice. Who would voluntarily choose to be discriminated against so severely? 

It takes bravery to be honest with the world about something you undoubtedly will be judged for. I salute all those who came out this Pride, and to Frank Ocean for being so brave. 

Live and let love...
Swim good.

The Articulate Bitch

PS: in case you're wondering what Odd Future front man, Tyler the Creator thinks, here's what he tweeted: " Fucking Finally Sus Boy @frank_ocean Hahahaha, You Still Aint Got No Bitches Hahaha My Nigga Dawg" .... "My Big Brother Finally Fucking Did That. Proud Of That Nigga Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever. Anyway. Im A Toilet." ....then a little later.. "AY BITCHES, IMA START SINGING SO LIKE, ALL OF FRANKS BITCHES CAN YOU COME OVER HERE AND LIKE HOLLA AT YA BOY!" .... I fucking love Tyler. Lmao

1 comment:

  1. beautiful post!!! YAY Frank...to be yourself in a world that shuns in is admirable!! i support him EVEN more.
    it was my first time going to PRIDE and this WEEKEND was the best in weekend i've ever had! to be around people that LOVE to LOVE just for the sake of loving. No judgements.

    ReplyDelete