Saturday 17 November 2012

Tatted Girl Problems

The life of a tattooed female is an exciting one fraught with peril and loaded with unsolicited comments and compliments alike. There's just a lot of shit only we deal with day to day. If you share my sentiment, thank you. If you don't, we'll hopefully you'll learn something today.

1. Touchy feely folks are one of my biggest annoyances. Last I checked, we humans see with our eyes. Why on earth do you need to snatch up my arm and run your hands over my skin to "see my tattoo"? It's not Braille and YOU are not blind. Don't touch me.

2. 21 Questions. People always have questions about tattoos, which is fine, but knowing which questions are appropriate seems to escape many people. Dumb questions are worse. Don't ask me if it hurt. Yes, it did. Don't ask me why I got it. I wanted it. Don't ask me "would I ever tattoo my face". Would you? Okay.

3. Curiosity Factor. A lot of dudes have been with girls who HAVE tattoos but haven't been with heavily inked women before. There's an assumption and curiosity that goes along with all this. Before you've said a word he's already decided that you're probably a freak and he's wondering what tattoos are hiding under your clothes. We get the corny pick up lines too "Can I lick your tattoos?" or "I wanna see the REST," being the most common and most annoying.

4. Niggaz also have this irritating habit of thinking that since you have tattoos already, they can make suggestions. Every single time I've been in the tattoo shop some nigga suggests or asks "you should tattoo my name,". The fuck? Why? You're not even PAYING for this tattoo. But that was real fuckin' cute though.

5. Non tatted girls either admire us for having the balls to be this inked, saying "I could never get away with that," or they hate us and think we've made a stupid decision. Those who admire look longingly at our skin as if there's something they've missed. Those who hate us make slick comments and screwface like we don't notice. I feel most sorry for those girls because they clearly don't realize how much we don't care.

6. Meeting mom is also a pretty real concern. White girls with tattoos tend to date white guys with tattoos so meeting his mom isn't much of a concern. Hence why I've said for years I can only date dudes with tattoos. But our darling black mothers are never too pleased to see a Nubian ink goddess walk through the door. At the very least, if her son is heavily tattooed she'll understand why he chose a tattooed girl. If he's bare-skinned, Houston, we have a problem.

7. Everyone thinks you do tattoos. Dude after tatted dude could pass by and no one would make that assumption. As a female, once you pass a certain point of coverage, it feels like everyone thinks you're a tattoo artist. I can barely draw stick people fam.

8. The feminine factor had me lost for a while. The makeup, the hello kitty obsession, the hair, the nails. Most ladies I know who are tattoo enthusiasts like myself fall into the culture (yes, it is one. We have magazines, websites and conventions dedicated to our community). The dramatic makeup and hair, the immaculate manicures and the strange obsession with Hello Kitty. I can't explain it. Thing is, we have to balance out the hardcore, pain-loving, badass image with something overtly feminine and beautiful. That's why my makeup is always done and my hair is too. Without those things I'd just be scary looking.

9. Planning for the future isn't always the main priority here. But as a female there are things I researched for my future ink. Mostly to do with having kids and what that will do to my tattoos. The whole lower back tattoo, epidural myth is just that. A myth. Problem is, that myth runs so deep even some doctors believe it (certainly not all). Definitely do the research yourself for peace of mind. Second was torso tattoos and pregnancy. I'm dying to tattoo my stomach but if it's gonna stretch during pregnancy and possibly not return to beauty afterward, I'd rather not do it. From what I've read it's a case by case situation. Some women recover flawlessly and some look terrible after. Again, do your own research.

10. People assume that because we have tattoos, we must love every dude who's got tattoos too. No. We might like their work, we probably find them more attractive than the average dude but having tatts alone isn't enough. It might get them a second look but there is no certainty we'll like them. Stupid stereotype.

Just a little insight. Hopefully you can relate or you learned something.

The Articulate Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment