Sunday 11 November 2012

Mawga Gyal

When my dear twitter homie @BUMBOCLAWT said she wanted to write a post about body image, I gladly offered a platform. I had no idea she would take this angle on it and after reading it I was so glad she did (clearly because I can relate). Big girls aren't the only ones with body issues. Let me introduce a perspective you may not have ever considered before; that of the "mawga gyal". Enjoy.





First and foremost, I will have you all know that I think the whole debate of beauty is bullshit. To me, anyone who’s confident, whether they have DD’s or A cup… a six pack or a bang belly is sexy.

If we all look back, I think the majority of us can agree that the whole idea of beauty has changed significantly throughout the past few decades. Back in the 90’s females just had to look… well… they just had to look natural, shit. Girls were even shaving their heads left, right and center and were still considered sexy. Now that’s only cool because Amber Rose brought it back. You didn’t need to have big breasts, or an ass that could be used as a floatation device. You could just be you, and being you was good enough.

But hey, welcome to the new world. Where you gotta have a flat stomach, big tits, a fat ass, and curly hair down your back to be considered “beautiful.”

I hear the debate of thick versus fat almost everyday since being thick is “in”. But watch out… because once you’re “fat” people will be lined up to tell you about yourself. Especially over the Internet.

Bigger girls often get slandered on a daily basis, which is sadly expected from our society. But with all this mix up and blem blem concerning bigger girls, people are forgetting there’s a whole other body type that gets it almost everyday.

Ladies and gentleman, I introduce you to the “skinny” girl or “mawga” gyal… if you will.

First of all, I hate the term “skinny” or “mawga”. Shit sounds like you haven’t eaten for weeks and your ribs could be played like a xylophone. The amount of times in my life I’ve heard: “How yuh suh mawga?... Yuh muss eat more” and “Oh my god, how are you so skinny, you eat so much?”… I could not even tell you. And slim girls, I know you feel my pain. People stay asking these “how are you so skinny” questions as if I have some type of answer for them.

Stressing the fact that someone has a small body frame is NOT a compliment. Neither is insisting that they need to eat more.

So… like bitch. Get the fuck out of here, please.

Have these comments had an affect on my self-esteem? Absolutely. A few years ago, a comment like that is all it would take to make me feel horrible about myself for the rest of the week, but I grew up. And through life experience, grew into a confident, strong woman.

Do these comments still bother me? Well… they definitely don’t affect my self-esteem, but are they annoying? HELL YES!

When people make comments about body weight or size, do they consider the fact that their comments aren’t going to add 5lbs to my thighs? Calling me skinny isn’t going to give me a fatter ass or bigger breasts. So what’s the point?

At the end of the day, guess what? We live in a DIVERSE world. People come in all shapes and sizes and none is more attractive than another. So grow up.

It’s taken a while, but I love myself… everything about myself. From my body to my personality. Of course I still have my days from time to time where I feel ugly or feel gross but that’s life. At the end of the day I’m confident with myself. And no matter my size, or if I lose weight randomly or gain five pounds from that Big Mac combo … guess what? I am beautiful.

So to all my slim chicks out there, first things first. You have got to be able to look in the mirror find yourself beautiful. You have to be confident in your own skin. Don’t only EMBRACE your small frame but LOVE it. Next thing, if someone doesn’t love you for each and every inch of tininess on your body then let them know that they always have the option to turn their face the other way.

Sounds cliché to say, but I don’t give a fuck cause its true. If one person doesn’t find you beautiful, then someone else will.

Oh, and to all of you who continuously make the “oh she’s so mawga” comments. You know what you do when you see a slim chick? You get the fuck over it and move on with your day.

Unless someone you care about has a serious problem with their weight, and your commentary will ultimately have a positive effect on their life… then girl, bye.

And that’s just what the fuck it is,
BUMBOCLAWT

No comments:

Post a Comment