Thursday 15 November 2012

RIP My Mentions



So it happens all the time on twitter, someone does or says one thing or another, the wrong person (or right person depending on who you are) retweets it in disagreement and the flood gates open to mockery from all sides.

It's happened, now twice, to me and lord if you don't have a sense of humor or a tough skin the shit will eat you alive. Had this kind of forum for mass point-and-laugh been around before with the potential to spread as fast as twitter, my self esteem may have seen the end of me long ago.

Well once my mentions calmed the fuck down I had a chance to actually see what people were saying, and I was actually pretty appalled.

It started with a twitpic of my unfinished Hennessy tribute tattoo (I like Hennessy... A lot). Black twitter got ahold of it and believe me it was a sad wrap after that. Most people had comments I was prepared to read since the day I laid on the table for the two hours of meticulous work. I always knew there was a possibility for this to happen so honestly I wasn't surprised. You can't please everyone, and unless you know me personally, know my personality and know the context of the tattoo... Yeah it's a royally moronic thing to have on my skin forever. Absolutely.

However, beyond the banter I expected came some unnecessary comments in the form of personal attacks. I don't mind that some people think it was a stupid or ratchet tattoo to get, that's okay with me. But I lost count of the "kill yourself" tweets after 15. Seems like overkill if you ask me. But who am I? I drink Hennessy.

A lot of happiness comes from being able to laugh at yourself. I got this tattoo for the sake of the irony, for one, and because quite simply... I wanted it lol. I said to both my friend and my tattoo artist, " oh god they're going to roast me alive for this one," and I was right. But you know what? I still love my tattoo.

So for those who called me a stupid bitch or a ratchet hoe or whatever form of degradation you chose, I ask you; after reading this do I sound like an unintelligent female? Do I sound like someone who is ghetto-ridden for life with no chance of success based on what I choose to ink on my skin? If your answer is still yes, well there's also this....

I'm sorry I didn't have a tattoo of an ex boyfriend's name for you to praise and call me a ride-or-die for. Or a religious tattoo which in itself is an oxymoron. My bad I don't have prayer hands or rosary beads or a crucifix with "only god can judge me" declared above. I'm so sorry I didn't have a child with some nigga I'm tried to trap and tattooed their name on me. Sorry I'm not into (and I say this as a generalization) the classic "black girl" tattoos. I'm into originality and art (Shoutout the tatted white girls who know what that means). I'm a tattoo enthusiast. It's art based on passion. You only get tattooed what you love and what means something. I didn't do it to declare "I'm tatted" like many people do. Tattoos aren't meant to make you "cool" they're meant to show you're passionate about what's on your skin. Sorry, I'm preaching the gospel. Didn't mean to.

Sounds like I'm reacting lol I know. But for anyone who has had their mentions destroyed the way mine were (lol destroyed would be an understatement) just know you're not the first and you won't be the last Today for me, tomorrow for someone else.

Now I've gotta be great just to shut people up. Fantastic. *sigh* lol

The Articulate Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment