Saturday 31 March 2012

Camo: Resurrection

Who remembers when camouflage was first cool? Bro, I know they say style comes in cycles but I never really thought camo would make a comeback.

It started with the classic camo cargo shorts. Every little hipster kid snatched up a pair or 10 of these joints after Wiz Khalifa said they go with everything he wanna wear. Fine. I can dig it. Camo shorts have become a summer staple now. And oddly enough, they really do go with everything. I don't know exactly HOW or WHY, but... well... they DO! The best (or maybe worst) part about camo shorts is that anyone can wear them regardless of their personal style. From grown and sexy swag like Jay Z to casual couture like Pharrell Williams to young hipster favourites like Lil Wayne (and the rest of young money for that matter) and Wiz Khalifa.


Camo has diversified quite a bit since butt fucking the world one hipster at time. Now we see it everywhere, not just shorts. And while I got over the whole camo cargo thing pretty quickly (yes, I own a pair too... I only EVER wear them with sneakers... they look ridiculous any other way) I'm actually loving the other camouflage options there are now. Now we have more than just the regular jungle camo we're accustomed to.


I love the other camo clothing that is available now, jackets and pants especially. I swear I haven't been so in love with an article of clothing as when I bought my desert storm jacket:


Seriously... I'm wearing it as I write this post.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know much about the different patters and the names of them. But I'm still definitely a fan of the camo movement. Being that I do my best to cater to the ladies, I'm gonna show y'all a couple really easy and swagged out ways to rock the camo without looking like a hypebeast bitch from Queen West who's only wearing camo 'cause she's a fan of the Weeknd (s/o to XO doe.... dems my mans).


I'm always a fan of Rih Rih's style. Camo jackets are a super cute way to de-whore a pair of super short denim shorts. It looks best I think with distressed denim like hers above, with a casual wash, perhaps a couple rips and tears to add some grunge swag (btw that's the summer swag... if you don't believe me, just wait). 

Styled by/Courtesy: Meagan Wilson (instagram: shegotgame)

Camo also pairs up nicely with other army-esque clothing and accessories. My Fav Picks for camo accessories:

1. Aviator style shades: whether vintage or new, gold or silver frame, dark, light or gradient lenses, these go perfectly with ANY camo clothing you rock.

2. Boots: I love combat boots in any capacity, but with camo they seem to find a happy home. I love Doc Marten's in any color, but be sure to tie in the colour of your boots with another accessory (for example: deep purple Doc's with purple nail polish, lipstick or perhaps a bandana tied sweetly in a bow around your hair). I also love the look of vintage or distressed leather boots. I've spent 2 years beating up a pair of leather boots, they're very grungy, I'm in love. I also love the very tomboy hot girl look of baggy camouflage pants with Timberlands. That with a simple white cropped tee or a wife beater and those aviators... pffft. Hot.

3. Wood jewellery: everyone and their granny seems to be making beaded bracelets and shit. Well thankfully there's a way to wear these things without looking like a fruity fashion hypebeast. I'm a fan of Good Wood's newer pieces, which feature a range of pendants on wood necklaces and bracelets as well as super cute stud earrings. Some of them have army themes which pair well with camo.

4. Americana/Canadiana: flag-wear as I like to call it. Things like the denim button down shirt shown above, or flag shorts just look like they were MADE to be worn this way. I love it.

5. Rips/Tears/Holes: as if you've been through battle. I rock my desert storm jacket with ripped stockings, or ripped jeans with a few large holes to show a little skin. 

6. Vintage Tees/Tanks: Think classic old-school redneck truck driver swag. Aged, over sized tanks like the Harley Davidson one I saw in a thrift store the other day. The graphics on the shirt is key! Choose things like bald eagles, rock bands etc.

Camo style for females consists of adding the feminine aspect to this male oriented fashion trend. Think casual, but still sexy and girly.

I'm not a fashion blogger in any sense but, hey, there's my take on  one of my favourite trends. Add some camo to your wardrobe this summer.

The Articulate Bitch

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but in my head Camo never went away!!! CAMO FO LIFE!!!
    Its a way of life and I use Camo to express a piece of my personality: a fighter.
    When I wear Camo I mean business or shit is getting handled LOL.

    Great post, love ur point of view and glad ur writting again!!
    Keep doing ur thang mama

    DatChikMalix

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wearing camo clothing as they always fit in according to my style and shape. But I am not sure where to get best military camo Discount Designer Clothes. Please help me.

    ReplyDelete