Tuesday 25 September 2012

Black Girls On Trial

Damn right I'm judging. I'm diving right the fuck into this post.

Clearly, as you can see, I am a black girl. My mother is quite on the afrocentric side, natural hair, organic materials, cowry shells, etc. Growing up, both my parents instilled a sense of black pride that I think many children lacked at that age. All my dolls were black. My Barbies were black, my fairy tale books had black princesses and black prince charmings and I even had a black children's Bible. I went to black focus tutor groups and after school programs. I had natural hair or braids all the way up to junior high school and didn't learn about weave until high school (blame brampton). Up until high school I only had a few black female friends. We were scarce in my neighborhood, which was super diverse (I grew up knowing about so many other cultures which was a blessing, trust me).

Then BOOM culture shock when I moved to Brampton with my dad and his wife. I had never seen so many niggaz in my life. Plus I met a whole new breed of female: the stereotypical black girl. The weave wearing, long fake nail having, loud talking, no manners having type black girl. The only place I had seen girls like these was visiting my mother in Florida (Broward & Dade county, wuddup) but this Canadianized version was something new.

For a while I just tried to fit in with them. Then I discovered that just wasn't me, and I found myself. But while in that world and experiencing that life I learned a lot. Some things I liked, but most things I REALLY didn't. Clearly, I'm not speaking about EVERY black girl. Sadly, I'm speaking about MANY of them. I like lists. So here's the run down:

1. Blame game - nothing is ever their fault. They always want to blame shit on some factor they can't control. "It's because I'm black!" or something similar. Never taking responsibility. It's pathetic.

2. PDA - Public displays of aggression are classic black girl behavior. Someone looks at them wrong, it's a fucking SCENE. They carry on so outlandishly it's embarrassing to watch in all honesty. Why? Well because right away I'm getting the same glares this ratchet chick is, just because we share similar skin tones.

3. Stare down - black girls are totally compelled to take a look at the next black girl. This wouldn't be a problem if they were innocent glances accompanied by a smile, but they're looks of disapproval nearly always followed by some rude comment just out of earshot.

4. Keeping up appearances - I can't tell anyone how to dress. I didn't buy your clothes so that's totally on you. But just know that how you look is often how you will be treated. Is it right? No, but you can't complain about being judged if all you do is judge. Stop getting your panties in a bunch and getting rowdy in public when people are staring at you in your hot pink lacefront, and Keylolo-esque demeanor. You look like a circus act so yeah... They're waiting for you to do a trick.

5. Cock fight - black girls are the reigning queens of fighting over men. SHUTTUP! JUST SHUTTUP 'CAUSE YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE! We act like total fools for the sake of some nigga who is fucking both (or all) of the girls carrying on stupid over him. We call the other girl, throw subs on the internet, walk out pon a gyal or whatever those girls say. It's deplorable behavior that it seems we ebony queens excel at.

As fantastic and beautiful as we are, why do we stay losing? Everyday some sad example for a black woman sets us back with a display of embarrassment. We're known for the best and absolute worst things. We hate each other so much, and sometimes I can't even disagree with the reasons why. We a hot ass mess sometimes. We really need to get it together.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. All you preachy people are sitting there spewing shit about self-love and blah blah. That's fine and dandy. I happen to agree with you, but I also happen to live in the real world. Where light skin girls are fantasy, dark skin girls wear platinum blonde wigs, fat girls call themselves thick and every other black girl is your secret enemy. So stick that in your fro and pick it.

The Articulate Bitch

1 comment:

  1. this is sooooooo true and its a damn shame that this is how the majority of black girls are...we need to work on our self pride and uplift ourselves instead of bringing ourselves down..black men alike

    ReplyDelete