Wednesday 12 September 2012

Club Chronicles 16: Concert Edition

Summer is winding down. Hoodie season is slowly creeping up on us and with that comes the rush of concerts to end the season of fantastic weather.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big concert fan. I love music, and I love live music, but much of the concert experience causes me strain and frustration. Maybe I'm bougie and just a lil bit Hollywood, but here are a few things that trouble me about concerts.

I hate lines. I am generally a very patient person but I still get insanely irritated when I have to wait in a line for things. I don't experience the line issue at the club thanks to networking, concerts tend to be similar but security is turnt up. The main issue with concert lines is the sheer volume of groupies in artist merch, carrying posters, and shit to get autographed. These fans are wired denabitch! They're so hype it's borderline embarrassing. My patience doesn't extend far enough to tolerate them for so long. We not even in view of the stage yet and they're going buck. Chill. Save the screaming for the actual show.

Groupies/eye candy females are another annoyance of mine. It's always real funny to see these girls at concerts because you can spot them a mile away. They rock the most thirst worthy outfit, the longest weave a pay cheque can buy and flirt freely with venue staff in hope of ending up backstage. They don't know the songs, they just bop slow and get fake hype. They tend to avoid eye contact with me because there's always a chance I'll recognize them and put them on blast. Like this hahahaha. But ladies never fear. I'm not a name dropper, you're safe.

Industry folks are always a staple at concerts. Backstage is generally packed with people just chilling. The air is thick with Piff fumes and the smell of alcohol lingers on the breath of everyone holding a conversation. Truth is most, but not all, industry folks are really feeling themselves. I call it the heads & tails effect. Some have certainly earned that right. Years in the game, a resume that would hurt your feelings, expense accounts and racks in the bank. Those are the heads. They run shit, they are the face of their product. Then there are the tails. Literally following behind the heads. Some tails are dope individuals who simply have a well connected friend who brought them along for the ride. Then there are the delusional tails who act like heads. Cocky, over confident and obscure. No one recognizes them. You see people asking each other in hushed tones "who brought this guy?" as they watch this person make a fool of themselves. Really un-cute.

Back in front of the stage, there are fans on fans on fans hype for the show. Consideration goes out the window entirely. I'll never understand grown men pushing and shoving females half their size to get closer to the stage. You're 6'4 shoving my poor 4'11 homegirl to stand in front of her? You can't be serious. These dudes are the same ones who will push you in line at the club without a single care and not a single polite word to excuse themselves. I hate them. All.

Bottom line, concerts are supposed to be community events where people can share their love of music. Do your part to make it a good experience for everyone.

The Articulate Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment