Thursday 9 August 2012

Making My Moment

Thank heavens for a mental alarm clock.

The following story is 100% true and unplanned.

11:00am -The DM
Summer DMs me that Drama has landed and to meet him at the hotel for 12.... I look at the time: 11:18. I promise, you have never seen a girl fly til you've witnessed that get-ready that morning.

1:00pm - the meet
Hotel lobby seeing mad people I know because only caribana could bring this many niggaz downtown at once. Get the room number and head up.

At this moment I'm reminding myself why I don't get starstruck, 'cause I've been bumpin' DJ Drama mixtapes like ALL the Gangsta Grillz with my favourite artists, and now I'm bout to meet the man behind the mixtape careers of countless rappers... You bastards.

Sigh of relief to find he's super cool and laid back, 0% Hollywood and not an ounce of diva no homo. Heart rate lowered, I can no longer see it beating through my tee shirt so I'm feeling good.

Talia Coles, Drama's stylist for the shoot (also works with Trey Songz and J Cole) is another fab lady I was happy to meet. Super sweet with great style - of course. We chat about clothes and shoes and a possible shopping trip in Toronto's fashion district in the near future.

Drama's road manager is a sweet, Air Max loving, fast talking New York girl. Her blackberry stays glued to her hand as she organizes the shoots every detail.

Complications arise, it's raining. The shots for today are all outdoor and the location has no cover. Fuck. The director takes off to find an alternative.

2:15pm: Lobby
Drama and Flocka link up to film the candid moment, after a minor frenzy of fans get pics in the lobby. Daps and "holla at me"s are exchanged. Back to the rooms to get changed then head to set, as the rain eases.

Meek Mill has a lobby call for 3:00pm.

3:00pm - Lobby (again)

Drama tries his outfits for the shoot.

Le wait...

I'm stoned, my eyes are heavy and my phone is on some obscene low percentage. I plug it in a pray my eyes stay open.

See a couple familiar TDot faces, Pooch Hall and Consequence share a laugh as they head out the hotel.

Le wait...

Elevator dings and a light skin dude with long braids walks out. Hmm. Looks like ASAP Yams, cool.

Le wait...

I'm dying for a cigarette and freezing in the A/C, I take a step outside to bum a butt from someone and warm up in the sun as it fights to break through the clouds. I look to my right. The light skin dude with the pretty braids no homo lights a bogie. Yup... That's ASAP Yams.

"Sorry to bug you. Can I bother you for a cigarette."
"Yeah, it's a Newport I hope you don't mind."
"Nah that's cool wit me, thank you,"
Smile. Smile back, "I'm gonna act like I don't know who you are," I smile again.

We chat for a bit about nothing in particular. I tell him the Yams aka Yomborghini vs Jamz aka Jamborghini thing he laughs and asks if he's following me on twitter. Exchange the @ names just as Drama and Rocky come outside to film.

5:00pm - Front Street on set

ASAP Rocky says his goodbyes and hurries to the Molson Amphitheater for his performance at OVO Fest.

Yes, I managed to tame myself in Rocky's presence. I know it's ME, but y'all need to give me some credit for professionalism lmao.

Meek Mill is already on set as Jeremih arrives, while crew put the final touches on the equipment.

At this point I'm feeling surprisingly calm and comfortable, doing double photographer duty with both Drama and my iPhones. I say surprisingly because of the caliber of company I was currently keeping, I didn't expect inner pandemonium, but I was afraid of nerves. Happy I ain't got that problem. After all, there was one person still missing and the anticipation was killing me....

The set was a wide alleyway between two tall redbrick buildings. At the street entrance were fans on fans on fans with cameras and phones out capturing the scene. So I'm snapping away on both phones, when I hear the clanking of jewelry behind me. No biggie, I'm surrounded by niggaz in jewelry...

... Now, this might have been as close to a religious moment I've had in my young life, but I turn my head and catch a glimpse of a tall dude in my peripherals. Word to my muvah I paused, closed my eyes and looked behind me...

Gawd himself. Amen hallelujah.

He joins the video fun, adding his signature lanky-nigga bounce, and jokingly hunching toward me while I take pics on my phone. Funny guy. Super cool and charismatic. I caught the turnt up holy ghost and shoulder bounced with Trap (you know I wouldn't let her miss this) while the shoot continues.

The shoot continues without much headache. On set chemistry flowed, I kept taking pictures. Permanent smile on my face.

Seriously, if you haven't heard the song, go listen. Now as you play that song imagine what it means. Now imagine that THAT song was the soundtrack to such an epic day for me. It couldn't have been more appropriate.

I didn't go to OVO Fest. *shrug* somehow... I'm cool with that.

Much love to everyone I met that day, and everyone involved. Love to Talia, Drama and of course the lovely Summer Walker (aka Summajam, but only I get to call her that) who made it all possible. Special shout out to Chevy Jones of Dirty Jones he's about to do great things. I had my moment, yours is coming too fam.

Hope everyone had a fun, intoxicated, safe Caribana!

The Articulate Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment