Monday 17 March 2014

Face Paint

Face Paint

In 2009 when I started makeup school (Complections International, Toronto ... WHOOOOP!), I was one of only two black females in my class. Actually, in my whole school of about 80 students. You see, we hadn't quite embraced the whole makeup thing yet. But in the age of the exotic dancer/video vixen/celebrity girlfriend (all three) turned entrepreneur that has us seeing far more women of colour in the spotlight, we've not only embraced the makeup thing, we've become our own market within the makeup industry. 

How do I know? Well, quite simply I've been observing the changes through these past five years of being a makeup whore. In school, I could scarcely find my shade in a foundation. I'm not even dark skinned so to me that showed just how little this industry catered to us. Used to be the only place a black girl could buy makeup was at MAC (shout out to them, Toronto born company embracing all shades, all races, all sexes from the very beginning), Fashion Fair and if you could find it, Black Opal. The models were white, sometimes Asian or Spanish for the sake of "diversity" but never black girls. You know how they represented us? Usually with a bi racial girl with curly hair. *side eye*

Now? Well, glory glory hallelujah we are free at last. All cosmetic companies from the very top such as NARS, Smashbox, Clinique, and LancĂ´me all the way to the mass marketed L'oreal, Maybelline and CoverGirl have expanded their previously pale horizons and included a great many darker shades. 

On the flip side now every other mildly ratchet chick is a makeup artist and we've managed to get lost in the hype and forgot we wear this shit differently and certain rules need apply to us (for example stop highlighting all the way around your eyebrows with super light concealer. Your eyebrows looks like they're glowing).

Anyway, just for fun here are somethings to know about us women and our addiction to makeup. 

1. No, we don't have enough. There are never too many lipsticks or eye shadows. Yes I have 3 different mascaras that do the same thing. It's. Never. Enough. 

2. Don't ask how much it cost. It was a lot. We need to hustle extra hard to buy this shit. $20-$40 lipstick is not a game. We get points and loyalty cards just so we can catch a break once in a while. By the way, gift cards to makeup stores are such appreciated gifts. You have NO idea. But $200+ please cuz we've had our eye on that one thing we like. 

3. Stop telling me I'm pretty without makeup like I'm gonna stop wearing it. I'm not. Some girls wear makeup because they have to but the truly passionate makeup whore wears makeup because she LIKES to. It's fun, it's artistic we enjoy doing it and shopping for it an learning about it. So leave us to our hobbies. 

4. You're going to wait on us a lot. You telling us to be ready in 10 minutes is simply not feasible unless our face is already beat (meaning we already have makeup on). I dunno about you bitches but I take 10 mins doing my mascara alone. So either give us more time to prepare or prepare to wait cuz either way we not leaving until we're presentable. Depending on your bitch, that could be a while. 

5. Stop acting like you don't like it. When it's us it's "you don't need it. I dunno why you wear it. Is all this shit really necessary?"... But when it's the "model" looking back at it on your phone wallpaper with the 3 eyeshadow combo with false lashes and heavy contouring, it isn't so bad is it? Ah. Yes. Logic. 

6. Yes, we are looking at the next bitch's face. Yes we're making a mental note that her eyelash is coming off her eyeliner is crooked and dear god is that lipstick on her teeth? Of course we are looking. Just like you fellas would peep if homie in line at the bank was wearing fake Jordans. 

7. Understand our obsessions. Every makeup collector has her fixation. Some collect lipstick some are bronzer fanatics, some girls love fake lashes and mascara. Personally, I'm eyebrow obsessed. I won't step foot outside unless my eyebrows are perfect. Every time. Don't trivialize it to us. We know it's "just makeup" but it's on our faces for fucks sake! In the immortal words of Eryka Badu "keep in mind that I'm a artist.... And I'm sensitive about my shit."

8. You line up for Jordans. Why? Because they're limited and exclusive and you just gotta have em. Well, I got up at 8am to be at MAC when it opened at 10am (I needed an hour to do my makeup... Obviously) to buy 3 of the same limited edition lipstick. Problem? What's that, crickets I hear? Ah, I thought so. 

9. White tees make us nervous. We wanna hug you, really we do, but the way my MAC StudioFix C8 is set up.... 

10. It's a big deal if we let you see us without our makeup on. IT IS. I dated a guy for 5 months before he saw me without eyebrows. I'm dead ass. So if you're makeup whore girlfriend takes off her face for you, don't take it lightly. That's vulnerability at its finest. 


The Articulate Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment